Thread: Mum-Dad protecting Babies.

kelshaw is offline Welcome Me!

Default Mum-Dad protecting Babies.

Hi from Kelshaw.

I`m sending in this photo (one of many of my favourite bird) to get your advice on how i could improve on the quality and whatever you think can and needs to be done to it.

I must admit that i was very lucky with all the photos i took of the Swallows, i think they started to trust me when i`d go into the garage.
    It was taken 2009 with my first camera, Canon Power Shot A560 in auto mode. I don`t have any editing programs but if you think the photo can be improved i can get one and study it. Is my post too long for Critque section?

Kelshaw.
    Attached Images Attached Images

yellalablady is offline Moderator Moderatorphotozoholic

Kelshaw, I can see why these are a favorite subject. I'm assuming this is handheld. The shot shows a lot a camera shake. If you have to hand hold the camera, you will have to figure out a way to increase the shutter speed. You can use a higher ISO to let more light in. You could use a tripod or something else to steady the camera. This is just one approach. Others may have different ideas.
    Monnie
    Canon 40D l 17-40 f/4L l 70-200 f4L, 70-300 IS

2013 52 Week Project

All the angels were busy.
    So, they sent me Buddy, instead.

Default Thank you Monnie.

Many thanks for your advice Monnie. I knew when takeing all the photos of the Swallows that there would be problems, they nest in the roof part of the garage so i took a chance takeing the photos looking up and i only understood auto mode at the time.

I have not learned or studied manual mode to date, something i know i must do. I have the photos as a memory and as i`v said in my other posts the Swallows come back to us to nest every year.

I hope when they come which will be very soon i can take your advice, i will try.

Many thanks for your reply and advice.

Kelshaw

Here is a link to a book by Bryan Peterson. It is a great book to help you understand the basics. If you have a Barnes and Noble near you, they usually have it in stock.
    http://www.amazon.com/Understanding-...dp_ob_title_bk
    Monnie

2013 52 Week Project

Smile Thank you again Monnie

I will go looking for the book over the weekend, i think it will take some time for me to understand it all, but easy does it.

Many thanks again Monnie.

Kelshaw

Your welcome. Please feel free to ask any questions on anything you don't understand. We're all more than happy to help you understand. It's easier when you ask specific question and add photos to illustrate the problem. Good luck. Just remember only one photo per week in the critique section. You can ask questions in any section of the forum.
    Monnie

2013 52 Week Project

Skippy is offline photozoholic

Blog Entries

i think it will take some time for me to understand it all, but easy does it.
    Yes easy does it. Photography is a life long learning journey. You can also go out to the garage and practice before the swallows get there. This was taken at a shutter speed of 1/60. It needs to be somewhat faster. I would start with at least 1/250. Push the ISO up until you can least use that fast a shutter speed.

Smile Thank you Skippy.

Many thanks for your advice Skippy.

I`m trying with what time i have to get to know my camera, at the moment i find it a bit complicated and anything other than auto mode is foreign to me,
    I have used P program, and sometimes by pure luck a few photos have turned out very good ( to me very good ) some not so good.

I have explained in one of my posts that my daughter inlaw would not be happy about putting the two girls photos on the internet, i would love to post a couple of their photos here because by pure luck again they turned out good and i would love your opinions on them, maybe i can change her mind we`ll see.

Many thanks again and will submit a Swallow photo when they come to see if i have improved at all since 2009.

Kelshaw

Skippy is offline photozoholic

Blog Entries

Christina, Posting pictures of children on line has some hazards, so it is okay not to. To post or not to post can generate a lot of debate and opinions. In this generation of Facebook and it's show and tell format for some, those that do can't understand why not. I tend to lean in your daughter in laws direction. Although sometimes but not often I have posted pictures of my grandchildren. If they are not named or identified, there should be no harm.

Maybe you could her used to the idea of digital on line by starting a private album at Flicker or Picasa (no can see the pictures unless you invite them) and she will gradually get used to it.

Smile Many thanks Skippy.

Hi Skippy

I feel better since reading your reply, when my son gave me my Canon sx220 i started taking pictures of the girls, i was very happy with the results and would love to have your opinions on them.

I will see my daughter inlaw over the weekend and will chat about the subject again.

Appreciate your input, many thanks.

Kelshaw.

You could post them here for a very short time. Just long enough to get some feed back. Then you could delete them. She might go for that.
    Monnie

2013 52 Week Project