Thread: Washington National Cathedral After Sunset

metrodcphotography is offline Welcome Me!

Default Washington National Cathedral After Sunset

Lovin-Our-Life is offline Active Member

Beautiful, too bad the trees block the view of the building.

Skippy is offline photozoholic

Blog Entries

This is a cool shot. It really needs to be straightened. Went to your website and wow some of those get some awesome prices. But I wouldn't buy them. They all are leaning. You have some really nice photos and pictures. But you have forgotten one of the first things you do when editing and processing pictures. Geesh it is not even a reflection of the way Washington is leaning at the moment which is left. Yours all lean right. Wishful thinking on you part, maybe.

Quote Originally Posted by Skippy View Post
    This is a cool shot. It really needs to be straightened. Went to your website and wow some of those get some awesome prices. But I wouldn't buy them. They all are leaning. You have some really nice photos and pictures. But you have forgotten one of the first things you do when editing and processing pictures. Geesh it is not even a reflection of the way Washington is leaning at the moment which is left. Yours all lean right. Wishful thinking on you part, maybe.
    Hi Skippy,

Thanks for checking out my work. I think what you might be seeing as leaning is an optical illusion. Here's the same image with guidelines on top:

The full size images is 8,262 pixels tall and 5,800 wide. Even when I zoom in to 100% and check the lines the Cathedral is straight. The image is a stitch from 4 separate images and the software allows you to place vertical lines along verticals of the structure so that everything is straight. That was done with this image also so those types of distortions in stitched images were corrected for.

Skippy is offline photozoholic

Blog Entries

This is a tough capture to do that way. And the sense of leaning comes more from the horizontal lines. Like the tops of the doors in the lighted overhang and the balcony railing up top. I do love the colors and exposures in this one.

willard3 is offline Dedicated Member

Santa María Ahuacatitlán, Cuernavaca, Morelos, Méjico

I like them, too, but I agree with Skippy....architectural correction is both horizontal and vertical.
    Jefe Máximo, Albany, NY
    It's better to die on your feet than to live on your knees....Emiliano Zapata

Horizontally you'll only ever have the lines horizontally straight if you take the image straight on of the structure. If you take the image from an angle then horizontal lines will not be horizontally straight anymore.

Like your picture of the Lake House (nice capture, love the reflection):

http://http://www.photozo.com/forum/...ad.php?t=26885

The horizontal lines are no longer horizontally straight. They also don't remain equal distance from each other. Since the structure is going into the distance from our viewpoint then the horizontal lines will appear to be coming together. It's because of the vanishing point:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vanishing_point

Sage is offline photozoholic

Even with or without the correction, it's a lovely image and very well captured. The trees do not bother me at all. The light in the windows and doorways is wonderful. ~~Peg
    Peg
    “There is a crack in everything.That's how the light gets in.”― Leonard Cohen