Thread: A virtual portrait light studio!

brucep is offline Contributor photozoholic

Default A virtual portrait light studio!

I found this over on Strobist.com. David Hobby posted a link to a virtual light studio.

It works best on Google Chrome browser, and it's a little slow, but I find it's fun. See how well you can light this guy (to your own satisfaction). Above is a screen capture of a lighting setup I created. Give it a try!

sacstoy02gt is offline Mega-zoer

Very cool! Thanks for the link Bruce. Will spend some time with that for sure!

chicagojohn is offline Mega-zoer

Ah... no need for a hair light on this one, eh BruceP?
    "'There's more to a picture than meets the eye; hey, hey; my my." - Neil Young

king grant is offline Member

I really like the idea. This program has so much potential however I became bored with it. Maybe it's because I can't physically modify it and direct my subject to move. There is no body but I do agree the program seems interesting. I think virtual light studio 2.0 would be really great but unfortunately it's not my cup of tea. However, for some it most likely is awesome but for me I prefer the grab the light stand and move it method.

Thanks for posting bruce because without this post I would not have found strobist and obtained so much valuable information from the site itself.

schteve is offline Member

well i took a crack at it and came up with this...

---Steve
    Canon 5D mkiii, Canon 7D, Canon 85mm/1.8, Canon 24-70/2.8L, 70-200/4L IS, Canon 50mm/1.4

brucep is offline Contributor photozoholic

That would work well for young subjects, Steve, but we older folks appreciate softer light. It softens our bags & wrinkles. I can get away with small softboxes or even direct flash with my grandkids.

I'm glad to have introduced you to strobist.com, King. That's a great, very educational site I learned about years ago here on Photozo, from Jose-Louis (zeeman).
    Last edited by brucep; 12-19-2012 at 06:33 PM.